Monday 23 September 2013

Hair Regimen


I was more active taking care of my hair when it was short, I daresay I even enjoyed it, but with every centimeter added I got lazy about it, luckily I found a stylist who could handle it relatively well. So this post will have my old regimen and new regimen and products used for both. I recently got my hair did by Natmane (deepbrownkinks.blogspot.com) and she made some candid observations which I have put into consideration. I use too much heat on my hair! I only blowdry/straighten my hair about once a month but it seems the heat used during this process is way too much and ruining my beautiful coils (my hair is more coily than curly). Luckily I have very thick strong strands so they will get their coilness back as I desist from heat.

My old hair regimen (when I had a small fro and shorter hair)
My shorter hair was more malleable and it was during this phase I really bonded and fell in love with my hair, you can read my hair journey here and here. I learnt a lot from blogs, websites and Youtube videos about transitioning, hair types, caring for my hair, hairstyles, products to use, etc. Feel free to visit these ones and search for more- www.bglhonline.com, FusionofCulture channel on youtube, www.naturalnigerian.com. There are soooooooo many more out there and you can find out what works best for you with research and practice.
I shampooed and conditioned my whole hair @ once (no parts)
I do an apple cider vinegar rinse
I would towel dry and rub some Sheabutter and Elasta QP mango butter on it
And run a comb through my curly fro and add a bow or scarf and be on my merry way
I mostly rocked my hair in fros when it was shorter and ponytails when it was long enough for that.
I also fixed closed weaves (I don’t leave my hair out) of different styles and did braids, twists and weaving, with(out) attachments, once in a while as well ‘cos I love changing my look.
I also tied scarves whenever I was having a bad hair day or feeling too lazy to style

Products
V05 shampoo and conditioner
Sheabutter
Elasta QP mango butter
Olive oil cholesterol/sheabutter/conditioner/eggs for steaming

My new hair regimen (during/after my Natmane Hairdo)
While my hair was weaved I would spritz it with water daily and use either sheabutter/moringa oil/olive oil or cocounut oil on it
After I loosened my hair, I detangled (with my fingers) and put it in 4 parts and I re-detangled/ shampooed/conditioned/combed and plaited each part when I was done with it.
I dried the hair a bit with a towel and then with a hairdryer (used cold air) and applied shea butte on it and dried it a bit again. I made sure there was enough moisture left in it and put it in plaits and wore a satin cap before going to bed.
The next morning I took out the plaits, fingercombed it and put it in a ponytail and plaited the ends. I spritz some water on it and some coconut oil brushed the edges and went to work.
I keep my hands out of my hair as much as possible
I style my hair with scarves, bow pins, butterfly pins, bands
That’s about it for now, the weather is too hot for me to try a twist/braid out which will end up poofy at the end of the day.
I also fix closed weaves (I don’t leave my hair out) of different styles and I braid, twist and weave, with(out) attachments, once in a while as well ‘cos I love changing my look.
I also tie scarves whenever I’m having a bad hair day or feeling too lazy to style

Products
I use Tresemme Shampoo and conditioner, Moringa oil, shea butter, Olive oil, Coconut oil
Apple cider vinegar (for a rinse)
Olive oil cholesterol/Sheabutter/eggs/Manshanu (animal fat-popular in the northern part of Nigeria)/honey {for steaming}
I am not soo big on products as these ones work real well for me, I do wanna get some essential oils though and try out some clays and I’ll be good!

You can check out my Pinterestpage for my pins on my Nappy hair love board for more hair info, blogs and websites 
Product pics cmn soon.stay tuned.
Toodles!XooX
Please Share it! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...